Medieval and Renaissance Food & Spirits Tour in Florence
Ever been curious about what provisions and foods people consumed over 400 years ago? We will visit one of the world's oldest apothecary Farmacia Santa Maria Novella to learn about the medicinal elixirs and essences consumed and prepared by Dominican friars and monks from Medieval times through the Renaissance that have continued to appear in certain food and drink in Florence. Your guide will take the worry out of navigating and explain all the key tinctures, curious anecdotes, their ingredients and various applications from curative to culinary. You'll taste foods like chocolates, patisserie goods, meats and cheeses which either follow an ancient recipe or utilize ingredients and flavors present during the Renaissance, for example. After this visit. we'll head to the speakeasy den of Florence's most seasoned mixologists who will lead us through the world of these ancient herbs and spirits all paired with historical foods. Each food will be sourced meticulously and from pastoral artisans who make cheeses using age-old techniques and traditional ingredients.
- Guided visit of Farmacia Santa Maria Novella
- Sit down, guided tasting of liqueors and handmade sweets to pair (chocolates or biscotti)
- Stroll through beautiful Florence
- Drink wines preferred by Caterina de' Medici
- Personal session and guided tasting with the city's leading mixologist
- Imbibe in craft preparations and learn their centuries of history
- Taste historical products which follow ancient recipes (i.e. meats and cheeses)
- Learn all about the wild concoctions that span Florence's unique history
Start time: 5:30pm Days: Tuesday-Friday Duration: 2.5 hours Inclusions: All visits, drinks, food pairings and personable, bilingual food + drink expert. Tour Cost: Starting from $110 (equiv. to 85€eu) per person. Please Inquire, only available as a private tasting. Cost depends on group size and request. Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance. Optional add-ons: A guided tour of the Museum of Palazzo Davanzati with a licensed tour guide to tie in art and Renaissance culture.
We will imbibe with unique, potent concoctions all paired with the foods served during the Renaissance. You will accompanied by a local food and drink expert and together with the personal attention of the mixologist, you'll leave with a deeper understanding of the flavors present during Florence's historical eras.