La Grassa Bologna Food Lover's Tour
Bologna, capital of the Emilia-Romagna, has 3 nicknames: La dotta (the learned), la rossa (the red) and la grassa (the fat one). This bespoke food tour in Bologna was designed for food & culture lovers and will take you on an incredible journey through Bologna's and Emilia-Romagna's culinary legacy. We'll taste traditional freshly baked in-house goods at a buzzing institutional caffe' and then travel through colorful streets, porticos, historical markets, cultural sites, family-run delis, rich flavors, fresh pastas and gelato to provide a comprehensive overview of this city's culinary treasure chest. We'll delight in a handful of Emilia-Romagna's 40+ consortium protected DOP traditional products like mortadella, real deal Parmigiano-Reggiano, balsamic vinegar, prosciutto di parma and more. You'll learn (and taste) Bologna's world-loved pastas like tagliatelle and tortellini during a behind the scenes of a pasta making lesson at a local pasta laboratory. During this exclusive hand-on visit, you'll be taught by local mamma pasta masters how tortellini are made (and properly folded) as well as other hand-cut pastas like tagliatelle! A visit to Bologna is a must for Italian food lovers and this tour a perfect opportunity for those who wish to have a comprehensive, flavorful culinary experience.
- Small-group (6max) food tour in Bologna with a local historical guide
- *new* now 6 gourmet tasting pit-stops, min. 2 wine tastings included (6th stop not avail on Sunday tours)
- Bolognese sweet pastries and espresso
- Diving into Emilia-Romagna's product pantry: several types of deli meats like culatello, prosciutto, mortadella, salami (pork-based) and parmigiano-reggiano cheese tasting with locally produced dry lambrusco
- Sip on local semi-sparkling wines: Lambrusco & Pignoletto
- Visit to a local pasta laboratory for a crash-course lesson of Bologna's fresh pastas
- Learn how to fold tortellini and cut various pasta shapes at a women's run pasta lab
- *Pasta tasting with wine! Taste Tagliatelle and Tortellini (or ricotta-filled tortelloni for vegetarians)
- *new 6th stop* Understand traditional, aged balsamics from Modena with a varied tasting at a old-fashioned family-run specialty goods shop, whose owner also produces the prized, umami-rich vinegar (this 6th stop not available on Sunday tours)
- Guided food-related cultural stops at select sites (i.e. market district)
- Discover the historical curiosities that have formed Bologna's food culture
- Meeting local characters and purveyors
- Revel in wholly artisanal gelato and Bologna's mark on the gelato world
Our food tour in Bologna is perfect for enthusiastic eaters, home cooks, history geeks, chefs, farm-to-table enthusiasts and seekers of genuine culture. After your Curious Appetite tour, you will feel more confident to return to these shops and know what defines the local food landscape. Be prepared for an authentic backdoor journey through this very Italian food-centric city.
Start time: 10am Days: Monday-Friday (weekends upon request and at a supplement) Duration: 3 hours Inclusions: All tastings listed and entrance to the pasta lab for the demo, in-depth guided cultural food tour and personable, bilingual tour guide. Group Tour Cost: $120 (equating 95€eu) per person (max 6) Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request. Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance. Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided fine wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, etc.
PLEASE NOTE: During the month of August, this is vacation time in Italy and many shops shut for the month. This tour is still offered, but we will have alternative stops and we will do our best to include all which is promised. If we cannot include something which is promised due to a closure or unplanned event (such as a blackout, construction, etc) we will notify you and you will be presented with alternative choices.
*The pasta tasting stop varies on season and day of the week and can include an option for large tortellone. For vegetarians, only one tasting of pasta included unless 2 types are available but if only one type- will be a fuller portion. For vegetarians, please bear in mind we can offer some cheeses to replace some of the meats otherwise included and vegetarian pastas (only 1 type), bearing in mind Bologna is known as a meaty city.
We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle. Just let us know how we can help and please mention it in your booking form. If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 6, please send us an inquiry via REQUEST PRIVATE EXPERIENCE. We quote in EU€ but process all payments in USD (no commissions added) plus online merchant/ticketing fees.
BOOKINGS DURING HOLIDAYS
We kindly request a $35USD/25eu per person supplement for culinary walks during certain holiday dates. The supplement is subject to ONLY the following dates:
24,25,26 and 31 December
Pasqua and Pasquetta (Easter and Easter Monday)