La Grassa Bologna Food Lover's Tour
Bologna, capital of the Emilia-Romagna, has 3 nicknames: La dotta (the learned), la rossa (the red) and la grassa (the fat one). This bespoke food tour in Bologna was designed for food & culture lovers and will take you on an incredible journey through Bologna's and Emilia-Romagna's culinary legacy. We'll taste traditional freshly baked in-house goods at a buzzing institutional caffe' and then travel through colorful streets, porticos, historical markets, cultural sites, family-run delis, rich flavors, fresh pastas and gelato to provide a comprehensive overview of this city's culinary treasure chest. We'll delight in a handful of Emilia-Romagna's 40+ consortium protected DOP traditional products like mortadella, real deal Parmigiano-Reggiano, balsamic vinegar, prosciutto di parma and more. You'll learn (and taste) Bologna's world-loved pastas like tagliatelle and tortellini during a behind the scenes of a pasta making lesson at a local pasta laboratory. During this exclusive hand-on visit, you'll be taught by local mamma pasta masters how tortellini are made (and properly folded) as well as other hand-cut pastas like tagliatelle! A visit to Bologna is a must for Italian food lovers and this tour a perfect opportunity for those who wish to have a comprehensive, flavorful culinary experience.
- Small-group (6max) food tour in Bologna with a local historical guide
- 5 gourmet tasting pit-stops, 2 wine tastings included
- Bolognese sweet pastries and espresso
- Diving into Emilia-Romagna's product pantry: cured meat and cheese tasting
- Local sparkling wine tasting: Lambrusco and Pignoletto
- Visit to a local pasta laboratory for a crash-course lesson of Bologna's fresh pastas
- Learn how to fold tortellini and cut various pasta shapes at a women's run pasta lab
- Pasta tasting with wine! Tagliatelle and Tortellini
- Guided food-related cultural stops at select sites (i.e. market district)
- Discover the historical curiosities that have formed Bologna's food culture
- Meeting local characters and purveyors
- Revel in wholly artisanal gelato and Bologna's mark on the gelato world
Our food tour in Bologna is perfect for enthusiastic eaters, home cooks, history geeks, chefs, farm-to-table enthusiasts and seekers of genuine culture. After your Curious Appetite tour, you will feel more confident to return to these shops and know what defines the local food landscape. Be prepared for an authentic backdoor journey through this very Italian food-centric city.
Start time: 10am Days: Monday-Friday (weekends upon request and at a supplement) Duration: 3 hours Inclusions: All tastings and entrance to the pasta lab for the lesson, in-depth guided cultural food tour and personable, bilingual tour guide. Group Tour Cost: $120 (equating 95€eu) per person (max 6) Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request. Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance. Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided fine wine tastings, visits to gelato laboratory, visits behind-the-scenes at bakeries, etc.
We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle. Just let us know how we can help. If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 6, please send us an inquiry via REQUEST PRIVATE EXPERIENCE. We quote in EU€ but process all payments in USD (no commissions added) plus online merchant/ticketing fees.
BOOKINGS DURING HOLIDAYS
We kindly request a $35USD/25eu per person supplement for culinary walks during certain holiday dates. The supplement is subject to ONLY the following dates:
24,25,26 and 31 December
Pasqua and Pasquetta (Easter and Easter Monday)