Tasting Italian Food Culture: Gourmet Market Tour in Florence
Freshly baked Florentine pastries like rice pudding tartlets, ricotta and pear stuffed puff pastry folds, bold caffe macchiato, oven-warm pizza breads, flavorful cheeses & salumi tasting in the market, real deal extra virgin olive oil, wine and gelato- our gourmet market tour in Florence is one of a kind! This food tour in Florence introduces you to the finest ingredients which make Italian cuisine special while taking you to the soul of the city's food culture with a local expert in the know. You'll understand how to navigate open-air markets and shop like an Italian, go behind the scenes of an institutional bakery, taste local delicacies inside the market and surrounding neighborhood of Sant'Ambrogio, a culinary landmark of Florence. Our gourmet pitstops include Florentine sweets & baked goods, an array of cheeses (fresh creamy pecorino to nutty aged parmigiano-reggiano) prized Tuscan olive oil, taste wine at a sommelier, family-run enoteca, taste hand-cut prosciutto from the Casentino countyside, Parma ham and soft finocchiona (a fennel Tuscan salami specialty), discover Florence's street food scene and artisanal gelato. We peruse the market learning culinary curiosities and dive deep into Florentine food culture through food stands, butchers, street food vendors and more. This tour will take you to purveyors & specialties you wouldn't be able to find on your own.
- Small-group tour (6 max) with a local food expert
- 5 tasting, gourmet pit-stops (6 time permitting)
- Taste the best Florentine pastries and cakes
- Fresh-baked breads like olive oil rich, salty schiacciata
- Visit a working bakery and see how Florence's iconic baked goods are made
- Experience Italian coffee culture in a historical caffe' & bakery
- Taste the difference between cheeses & meats produced in the Emilia-Romagna vs Tuscany
- Prized cheeses (parmigiano-reggiano, pecorino, etc ) & meats (prosciutto, culatello, finocchiona, etc)
- Wine, bruschetta and olive oil tasting at a family-run enoteca shop
- Meeting local characters and purveyors
- Learn about Florence's street food culture (offal optional)
- Wholly artisanal gelato.
Our food market tour in Florence is perfect for food lovers, chefs, bakers, cooks, farm-to-table enthusiasts and seekers of understanding local culture. After your food market tasting tour, you will feel more confident to return to these markets and know exactly where to go for the best. Be prepared for an authentic backdoor journey through these locals-only food markets.
Start time: 9:30am or 10am Days: Daily (except Sundays) Duration: 3 hours Inclusions: All tastings (according to availability and market) and personable, bilingual food expert. Group Tour Cost: $95 (equating €75eu) per person, (groups max out at 6) Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request. Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance. Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided wine tastings and/or a curated lunch.
Additional notes: We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle. Just let us know how we can help. If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 6, please send us an inquiry via REQUEST PRIVATE EXPERIENCE. We quote in EU€ but process all payments in USD (no commissions added) plus online merchant/ticketing fees.