Tasting the Culture of Italian Food Markets
Florence boasts a variety of local outdoor food markets which house the very essence of Tuscan food culture. Our gourmet market tour in Florence is one of a kind, bringing you to the soul of Florence's food culture with a local expert in the know. We devour the freshest house-made pastries, go behind the scenes of a family-run, historic bakery, taste at hidden gems in the market and surrounding neighborhood of Sant'Ambrogio, a culinary landmark of Florence. From partaking in the morning ritual of Italian roasted espresso to savoring delicacies at the stands of true artisan food mongers- you'll discover the ingredients that make Italian regional cuisine special. Our gourmet pitstops include Florentine sweets & baked goods, an array of cheeses (fresh creamy pecorino to nutty aged parmigiano-reggiano) prized Tuscan extra virgin olive oil, hand-cut prosciutto from the Casentino countyside, street food including arguably the best panini in the world and artisan gelato. We peruse the market learning culinary curiosities and dive deep into Florentine food culture through food stands, butchers, street food vendors and more. This tour will take you to purveyors & specialties you wouldn't be able to find on your own.
- Small-group tour (6 max) with a local food expert
- 6 tasting, gourmet pit-stops
- Taste the best Florentine pastries and cakes
- Fresh-baked breads like olive oil rich, salty schiacciata
- Experience Italian coffee culture in a historical caffe' & bakery
- Taste the difference between cheeses & meats produced in the Emilia-Romagna vs Tuscany
- Prized cheeses (parmigiano-reggiano, pecorino, etc ) & meats (prosciutto, culatello, finocchiona, etc)
- Wine tasting with at a locals-only wine shop
- Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegar Tasting
- Meeting local characters and purveyors
- Famous street food tasting at little hole-in-the-wall gems (offal optional)
- Wholly artisanal gelato.
Our food market tour in Florence is perfect for food lovers, chefs, bakers, cooks, farm-to-table enthusiasts and seekers of understanding local culture. After your food market tasting tour, you will feel more confident to return to these markets and know exactly where to go for the best. Be prepared for an authentic backdoor journey through these locals-only food markets.
Start time: 9:30am or 10am Days: Daily (except Sundays) Duration: 3 hours Inclusions: All tastings (according to availability and market) and personable, bilingual food expert. Group Tour Cost: $95 (equating €75eu) per person, (groups max out at 6) Private Tour Cost: Please Inquire. Cost depends on group size and request. Not included: Travel insurance, transport, additional tastings and trip cancellation insurance. Optional add-ons (available for private tours): Guided wine tastings and/or a curated lunch.
Additional notes: We can accommodate virtually any food lifestyle. Just let us know how we can help. If you would like to start later or earlier than the times listed OR have a party larger than 6, please send us an inquiry via REQUEST PRIVATE EXPERIENCE. We quote in EU€ but process all payments in USD (no commissions added) plus online merchant/ticketing fees.